Yesterday we focused on “Beating the Daily Grind” by adopting God’s perspective on work and family. Today in Chapter 9, “The Blessing of Family,” we’re looking more specifically at family through Psalm 128.
1 Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord,
who walks in his ways!
2 You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your children will be like olive shoots
around your table.
4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed
who fears the Lord.
5 The Lord bless you from Zion!
May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
all the days of your life!
6 May you see your children’s children!
Peace be upon Israel!
After reading Chapter 9, here are some questions for personal reflection. Feel free to post a comment for discussion.
- How do verses 1-4 define blessing and describe its rewards?
- What does it mean to “fear the Lord”?
- Do you believe the blessing of marriage and family that is described in verses 1-4 for those who fear the Lord?
- What messages does our society give us that contradict the truth of this psalm, and what kind of consequences might these ideas bring?
- Because this psalm is not a guarantee of easy family life, can you think of examples in your family where God has used a difficult experience to bring blessing?
- Will you receive the blessing described in verses 1-4 through the prayer in verses 5 and 6?
- Is the idea of your family as a “zone of sacredness” or a sanctuary new to you, and is it an encouragement?
- As marriage reflects a larger reality of the whole Bible, what hope does believing and receiving the blessing in this psalm give us for today and future generations?
For more resources related to Journey to Joy, visit www.thejourneytojoy.org.